YOU BE THE JUDGE
Characteristics of a Fancy Mouse
JUDGES LOOK FOR. . .
ON THE JUDGING TABLE. . .
- A long, thin, racy body with strong bone and a well-arched loin.
- Smooth, glossy coat which densely covers the body and feels fine to the hand.
- A head which shows a curved roman nose outline when viewed from the side.
- Large, bold eyes showing animation and interest.
- Large, thin and almost transparent ears
- Tractable and inquisitive temperament.
- Large size and good condition.
- Color and markings which match those stipulated by the AFRMA Official Standard.
IN PET CLASSES, JUST FOR FUN. . .
- A good exhibitor is polite and courteous to other exhibitors and the judge.
- Each mouse is brought to the table in a show box and is examined by the judge.
- Mice are grouped into 7 Varieties or coat types (Standard, Satin, Long Hair, Long Hair Satin,
Frizzie, Frizzie Satin, and Hairless) and 5 Sections or patterns (Self, Tan or Fox, Marked, AOC, AOCP)
for judging purposes.
- Section winners compete for Best of Variety, Variety winners compete for Best in Show.
- Mice are judged on condition and temperament only.
- The Pet Mouse class winner is the mouse the judge thinks makes the best pet.
- Whichever mouse the judge likes best wins the Cutest Mouse class.
||Coat has a lustrous sheen.
||Coat to be long and thick, but fine and silky in texture.
||Mice that naturally have no hair.
||Coat is all one color (i.e. Beige, Black, Blue, Champagne,
Chocolate, Coffee, Cream, Dove, Fawn, Gold, Ivory, Lilac, Orange, Red, Silver, White).
|Tan or Fox:
||The top color is one color and the belly is either
orange (Tan) or white (Fox).
||These are marked with specific white and colored markings
(i.e. Banded, Broken Marked, Broken Merle, Dutch, Even Marked, Hereford, Rumpwhite, Spotted Tan, Variegated).
||The entire body is of the same color, but the coat consists of
individual hairs banded with two or more colors, and evenly interspersed with colored guard hairs,
or individual hairs banded in two colors (i.e. Agouti, Argente, Blue Agouti, Chinchilla, Cinnamon, Pearl,
Silver Black, Silver Blue, Silver Chocolate, Silver Grey).
||To have a combination of two or more colors other than white arranged
in a recognized pattern (i.e. Blue Point Himalayan, Blue Point Siamese, Brindle, Himalayan, Merle, Reverse Siamese,
Roan, Seal Point Siamese, Siamese Sable, Splashed).